Morning mist on our lake after last years storm

Morning mist on our lake after last years storm
What could be better than sitting in a deck chair drinking coffee and chatting with the gals???

Monday, August 31, 2009

Time Flies

Wow, were did the last couple weeks go?

We finally have all of our summer events wrapped up for scouts. The district had about 30 scouts from 6 packs at the Regatta parade this year. That's up from about 10 from 2 packs last year. W was the only one returning from our pack last year and we managed to get 7 or our 9 boys there.

School starts in 8 days for W and I think H will start the following Monday. I'm really hoping that watching his big brother get on the bus for a week will convince him he can ride the bus to and from school himself. I'm just so happy that the boys will have some apart time and be back on a schedule.

D got a promotion/raise at work. They are creating a position for him. Hey, in this economy, that's a big warm fuzzy feeling. They have had a lot of trouble with their ice machine and I don't think they keep up on other maintenance like they'd like to. So, he will be the maintenance/driver person. He figures he will keep a couple days with the out of town routes and the balance of time he will keep the refrigeration system going and make sure all of the trucks get their scheduled maintenance. They are still working out the details, but it looks like no more Saturdays and he will be guaranteed 40hr/week. Yeah!!

I spent about a week up to my pits in peaches. W has found that he really likes a little toast with his jam. So, we have been out of jam for a few months. I don't know what that stuff in the store really is, but I'm certain it's not jam. So we now have a bunch of peach jam and some canned peaches. I was just finishing up on my peaches and D called from work to see if I wanted him to bring home a Chinook salmon. Well, how do you say no to fish. I guess a coworker caught one and liked some smoked salmon D had taken in to share. So, he asked if we would smoke it for him in exchange for half of it. So, about 22lbs of fish later, I'm getting a break...while a wait for a box of pears to ripen for canning... Anyway, this guy asked if we would smoke the spine of the fish as well. We had never heard or thought of doing that. Evidently he pulls the meat off (very easy once it's smoked) and makes it into salmon cakes. I am guessing he will get close to 1lb of meat from the spine. Great idea.

So, can you believe it's fundraising time again? We are already ramping up for popcorn with scouts (look for the shameless pitch to pop up on my blog and in my emails soon...) I'm sure the school will start with wrapping paper soon. Then I will have to send W around to beg for canned food for scouts in a few short months. We'll probably just finish up with that and the school will start with discount cards followed by scouts doing the goodwill donations...then more candy sales with scouts. We all just need to learn to poo money.

Like all good things, my little break from reality to vent must come to an end. Maybe I will make it back here next Thursday for a post.

No comments: